We provide comprehensive advice on all aspects of intellectual property, copyright, and media law.
In this area of increasing legal importance, the firm supports clients from various fields of business, including broadcasting, entertainment, film, publishing, event marketing, advertising, e-commerce, software, merchandising, and telecommunications.
We also advise on the protection of intellectual property rights; conduct anti-piracy campaigns; and regularly engage in IP litigation. We work with experienced patent attorneys in the areas of patent law and trademark law.
Recent Representative Matters:
– Advising two of the three Iraqi mobile operators on various aspects of licenses, tax issues, CMC disputes, and BIT matters
– Advising a French/Chinese brand of mobile handsets on the first equipment finance in Iraq
– Advising a South African multinational mobile telecommunications company concerning their participation and award of the second GSM license in an Arab country, including assistance in drafting joint venture agreements as well as negotiations and conclusion with local partners
– Advising previous owners of Yemeni and Sudanese mobile licenses on the sale of their businesses to multinational telecommunication providers
– Advising mobile operators in relation to various tax disputes in Iraq, Algeria and Yemen
– Advising a Finnish multinational telecommunications company in various countries on equipment finance
– Advised a Swedish multinational telecommunications company in relation to investment in Egyptian GDRs and other currency related issues, as well as on a number of labor and trademark issues in Egypt
– Advised the oldest mobile operator in Egypt on some legal aspects relating to the enforcement of an arbitration award in a dispute with a French multinational telecommunications corporation
– Advising a major Asian supplier of telecommunications equipment regarding the supply and installation of mobile telecom equipment to a government operator
– Advising major European telecommunications equipment vendors concerning vendor financing (value over EUR200m) of major telecommunications equipment for use in the mobile sector
– Advised IFC and other lenders (including DEG) on the US $400 million refinancing of the Iraqi operations of a Kuwaiti mobile telecommunications company
– Advising a Finnish multinational telecommunications company on a series of supplier finance transactions for the purchase of telecom equipment from various service providers in the Kurdistan Region